Friday, July 17, 2009

Reality.....

Reality Bites.....after realizing that I was dreaming and my dad had not awaken...I prepared myself to head back to the hospital. At this point the reality that he was not going to recover had hit me. While we were home, Dan finally had a chance to tell me about what he had witnessed the night before when the paramedics came. It wasn't pretty. He said that he went right into the room where they were working on him and watched as they performed CPR. For over 8 minutes they gave him massive compressions and finally were able to bring back a faint pulse. That is when I arrived at the house. However, since I left Dan with the kids, he wasn't there to tell all of that when we were gathered in the ER deciding to proceed with extrordinary measures.



When I got back to the hospital I was told that we were trying a new procedure to try and "jump start" the brain activity. They were already in the process of lowering his body temp, and once that was complete, they would slowly start to raise the temp again. We were told that if there was any hope of my dad waking up, this was his best chance. I was kind of upset by this based on what Dan had told me, but there was no turning back and as devastated as I was with the realization that my dad was already "gone", I wanted to have hope......who wouldn't? As agonizing as the rest of Tuesday was, there was great comfort in the family and friends that came to the hospital, called, etc. to support us. Several cousins, and all of my dad's brothers and sisters never left our side. The grandchildren all survived by hanging out on Facebook and chatting with each other while sitting next to each other......actually, I think that was the adults that were doing that.



After the procedure was complete, the waiting game began.

No comments:

Post a Comment